The Municipality of Sesimbra is located in the south-west of the Setúbal Peninsula and has an area of 195 km2. It is bordered to the north by the municipalities of Almada and Seixal, to the northeast by Barreiro, to the east by Setúbal and to the south-west by the Atlantic Ocean. Its coastline, with multiple landscapes, extends from the Albufeira Lagoon to the Sierra of Arrábida.
Sesimbra offers very diverse landscapes, from mountain ranges to the beach, featuring a slope-shaped coastline, which difficults the access to the inland, with some exceptions that provide small berths corresponding to valleys and canyons with steep slopes.
Territory: 195 Km
Artemrede venues/List of cultural facilities: João Mota Municipal Cine-Theatre, Conde Ferreira Auditorium and Santiago Fortress
Cineteatro Municipal João Mota
The João Mota Municipal Cine-theatre, built in 1958, was an example of architecture of the Estado Novo [Portuguese dictatorial regime], though without the monumentality and quality in the overlays typical of the architecture of that time.
After its closure to the public in 1997, it reopened as the Sesimbra Municipal Library, on September 24th, 2005, and as the João Mota Municipal Cine-Theatre on April 14th, 2007. The João Mota Municipal Cine-theatre has the potential for film projection, theatrical, music and dancing shows, as well as an educational project targeted specifically at schools and families.
Auditório Conde Ferreira
The Auditorium was created in a building where the Conde Ferreira School also operated since the second half of the 19th century.
In the 1990s, the school became a multipurpose venue, the Conde de Ferreira Auditorium, which was officially opened on March 24, 2000, and since then has hosted cultural, social and project presentations. Exhibitions, conferences, concerts and public discussion of municipal projects were some of the events held there. The Auditorium is also the Headquarters of the Municipal Assembly.
It was built in 1648, when the King commissioned a series of fortifications along the coast as defence against the constant pirate attacks. In the 18th century, it housed the military government of the region and it was the summer residence of the royal princes. With no military function, in 1879, it was given to the National Guard and, in 1886, to the Customs.
The fortification features a polygonal plan, with two triangular bastions to the North and two trapezoidal to the South, against the vertices of the central body. This body houses the governor's house and the garrison's accommodations, the cistern, the gunpowder storeroom and the chapel.