Bathed by the River Tagus, Santarém, capital of Ribatejo and Scalabis to the old Roman Empire, was always present in Portugal's major historical moments: since the entry of D. Afonso Henriques in the city on March 15th, 1147, until the departure, towards Lisbon, of the tanks commanded by Captain Salgueiro Maia, on the morning of April 25th, 1974, which in a few hours turned Portugal into a free and democratic country.
The first documented traces of human occupation in Santarém date back to 900 BC The main attractions of this municipality are the cobbled streets and alleyways, twisted in their medieval design and the temples built between the 13th and 15th centuries, which grant it the epithet of "Capital of the Portuguese Gothic" and the Sun Gates Garden, with its new Interpretation Centre "Urbi Scallabis."
Territory: Area of the municipality of Santarém (2014): 553 km2
Population: 61,752 (2011)
Associate since: January 2005
Artemrede spaces / List of cultural facilities: Sá da Bandeira Theatre
Teatro Sá da Bandeira
Built in the early 20th century and one of the main cultural references of the city of Santarém, this building is a multipurpose venue.
In addition to the concert hall, which seats 201 and with 2 seats for people with reduced mobility, the Sá da Bandeira Theatre features a piano bar that allows small café-concert performances, poetry sessions, conversations with authors and the launch of new music figures, among others, and a bar and art gallery, freely accessible to the public, where several exhibitions take place. This location also holds several animations and initiatives ranging from music to dancing, theatre and the new circus.