The municipality of Montijo is today a dynamic and modern urban centre, ideal to learn about, invest, live and visit.
Learn about its secular history, deeply connected to the Tagus River and, therefore, land of fishermen; its past as a Galician Village of Ribatejo and its importance and development that justified the granting of the charter on September 15th, 1514, by King Manuel I; the story of its transition, on July 6th, 1930, from Galician Village to the village of Montijo and its rise to city status on August 14th, 1985.
Invest in a dynamic and entrepreneur municipality, where roads favour the access to anywhere in the country and to Spain, thus facilitating the allocation of investments within the logistics area; a municipality where the industrial past remains with a strong implementation of farms, pig farms, meat-processing industries and, particularly, the flower industry, which makes Montijo the largest producer of African Daisies on the Iberian Peninsula.
Live in a municipality divided into two areas with distinct offers: on the west side, the municipality provides a more urban area with quality real estate; on the east side, is the rural area where you can choose to live in the countryside and enjoy the quietness of nature; live in a municipality with prime location within the metropolitan area of Lisbon and extensive educational offer.
Visit its built heritage, legacy of memory and local identity: the Main Parish Church, the sanctuary and Church of Atalaia, the Agricultural Museum; stroll along the Riverfront or the Municipal Park; visit the rural side of the municipality and see the Colonato of Pegões, enjoy the wines of the Agricultural Cooperative of Saint Isidore, enjoy the quality hotel offer and an environmental and natural heritage of great value.
Territory: 348.6 Km2
Population (2011): 51,222
Associate since: January 2005
Cinema Teatro Joaquim d'Almeida
The Cinema Teatro Joaquim d'Almeida (CTJA) owes its name to Joaquim de Almeida, a well-known actor of the 19th century, born in Montijo. In the 1920s, the first Joaquim d’Almeida Cine-Theatre was created at Rua Miguel Pais, as a wooden playhouse.
In 1957, the new Joaquim d'Almeida Cine-Theatre opened to the public, on the street where the actor was born, the former Rua da Graça, today Rua Joaquim d'Almeida. A cultural facility seating 1,200, designed by architect Sérgio Gomes.
In 1991, after 34 years serving the population, the Cine-Theatre Joaquim d'Almeida closed its doors to the public. The Municipality of Montijo, recognizing the value and importance of this equipment to the local culture, acquired the building in 1999. After some recovery work, the CTJA reopened to the public on August 14th, 2005.
1st Foyer - Reception, computerized Ticket Office, Coat Hangers
2nd Foyer - Main Hall
3rd Foyer - Multipurpose Room
Stalls 283 seats
Balcony 355 seats
4 seats for people with physical disabilities
2 Simultaneous interpreting booths
Fixed stage with 3 interleaved plans, false pasterns, a proscenium and the orchestra pit
Located on the top floor of the CTJA, it is the ideal place for outdoor activities such as Yoga and Tai-Chi.
Operating during performances, the Coffee shop is right next to the Medi@arte Space.
It is an audiovisual and multimedia centre, adjacent to the Public Library of the Municipality of Montijo.
It welcomes children from 3 to 13 years old while the adults attend the performance in the Main Room.